Summer seems like a good time for simple living. Easy dinners, lazy afternoons, books that delight.
If you’re looking for some sweet summer reads, here’s a few of my favorites. The list is mostly children’s books because that’s the sort of dreamy reading I look for in the summer. (and maybe most of the time.)
Believe in a little magic. Read slowly. Enjoy!
1. Tuck Everlasting Because don’t we all just want to live forever? Just a little bit?
2. Voyage of the Dawn Treader At least one summer was spent reading this series through (or watching the charmingly dated BBC films) and this one was always my favorite. Eustace as a dragon? I can’t even talk about it.
3. The Tempest because, let’s be honest, you were supposed to read it for AP English and you never did. Do the right thing.
4. The best of Whitman Find some grass to lay in and read a little Whitman. You won’t be sorry. (unless there are ants in the grass and I really can’t help you there)
5. Sense and Sensibility Are you a Marianne or an Eleanor. THIS STUFF MATTERS! (Psst. I’m an Eleanor but don’t you tell)
6. Alice Through the Looking Glass Summer is as good a time as Christmas to believe in impossible things. I’d aim for 6 each day. Before breakfast. I think they’ve proven that nonsense is very good for your soul. (Science!)
7. Stuart Little This book is beyond charming. And the illustrations!
8. A Book of Luminous Things This is a lovely book of poems given to me for Christmas one year. Hot days are good for reading short bits of things. Take this one to the park.
9. The Secret Garden This is my very favorite book. I’ve read it at least a dozen times and own at least 3 copies-my original is falling apart. If you find yourself this summer needing to believe that broken, frustrated hearts can be renewed then this is the book for you.